Thursday, November 24, 2011

Mid-November brew day

The temperature reached the upper 60's on Saturday  November 19th. For this to happen in mid-November in Kansas City it takes a southerly breeze and that's just what we had. Winds were blowing out of the South at 25-30 mph which brings a nice Autumn day but can make outdoor brewing a challenge. Not only can the wind make it tough just to keep the propane burner lit but temprature regulation is a constant battle. I have always done my brewing outdoors but decided I would try brewing in the garage rather than fight this wind. My garage has a couple of windows so I opened them and left the overhead door about half open for ventilation. The more controlled environment definitely made a difference. Without the wind there were less burner adjustments required and no re-lights needed. Clean up was also easier as there was no scorching at the bottom of the kettle. I like brewing outside and will continue to do so but will probabaly be doing a lot more inside for the more controlled brew day.

No comments:

Post a Comment