Monday, March 28, 2011

Current events / Red-X

My posts, so far, have been about past events. I wanted to start from the beginning of my home brewing experience. This was intended to give a little background and I wanted to show that you can brew good beer with very little investment. Your brewery can grow in stages adding new equipment as the budget will allow. Once I get up to date the posts will of course be more current. With that in mind I thought I should post a few current events just to keep things fresh. … On Saturday Teri and I went to Red-X in Riverside. We went there with to check out their beer selection. I had heard good things about their liquor store and must say it was quite impressive. We spent some time looking around. If you are a Scotch drinker looking to drop a couple hundred on a single bottle this is the place for you. I am not much of a smoker, maybe 3 or 4 cigars annually, but any place with a nice walk in humidor gets my attention. There is no smoking inside our house so any cigar purchases will wait for warmer weather. Red-X had purchased a quantity of Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Yellow Snow IPA growlers. Samples of the Dead Guy were available for tasting. I am used to growler beer being drawn from a tap at the local brew pub for immediate consumption so was a little skeptical about growlers from a liquor store. They assured me this was bottle conditioned ale, just in a larger than usual bottle. The sales pitch worked and we left with a growler of Dead Guy Ale. We also picked up a bottle of Sierra Nevada Ovila. Teri and I shared the growler over the weekend and were not disappointed. We will cellar the Sierra Nevada for enjoyment at a later time. Thankfully, craft beer selection in the Kansas City metro area has seen substantial growth in the past few years. I will continue to make most of my purchases a little closer to home, but the Red-X in Riverside, MO is definitely a place I look forward to visiting again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment