Saturday, March 26, 2011

Brew equipment upgrade (2009/2010)

 Mostly because I use a propane cooker, but also because of the mess, I do all of my brewing outdoors. This means I won’t be doing any brewing for several months during the Kansas City winters. I decided that since I wanted to continue brewing I needed to have my own stove. Also, I wanted to do a full 5 gallon boil.  This meant it was time to upgrade the brewing system. I bought a Bayou Classic propane stove through Ace Hardware. It is a great stove with plenty of btu’s for a 5 gallon boil. It does not have a windscreen so a breeze can be a bit of a problem. A shield made from a piece of light gauge metal, aluminum in this case, solved that problem. Next, I made a brew kettle out of a half barrel (15.5 gallon) keg, these are sometimes called “keggles”. After finding a keg I cut a hole in the top with a 3” metal cutting disc. I removed the dip tube and valve assembly and kept the removed top to use as a lid. I drilled a couple of holes in the side of the keg and had a friend (thanks Mike) weld in 1/2” couplings. These will be used for ball valve and thermometer attachments.

No comments:

Post a Comment